View Single Post
Old 2011-04-24, 00:04   Link #97
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekirei07 View Post
If you just want to watch boobs bouncing or panty shots well just watch something that has those.

The series is not JUST panty shots and boobs, its got a lot of good points to it as well.
I can't tell if you are serious. I'm well aware that Soft Tennis isn't an anime to be judged next to masterpieces such as Haibane Renmei or Madoka Magica, but there is little to see here beyond panties, boobs and cute faces.
Quote:
Elizabeth is one of my favorite western characters ever!

Kotone is honest to god the reincarnation of Yue from Angel Beats. The character variety between the girls is good with a nice combo of not just simple stereotypical ones but a few of them put together. Like clumsy glasses with big boobs + big eater, silent ninja like girl + extravagant eccentrics, and plain old average girl + perverted mind.
The two parts of your words I highlighted have been done to hell and back. They are mere half-butt attempts to recycle old and creaky character archetypes in the exact same combination that you can find everywhere. There is nothing special like you claim. Why is Chitose clumsy despite speaking and acting like an ideal motherly woman? Because it's cute and attractive, and this old cliche has earned similar anime and games a lot of money in the past. Why does Kurusu have dark skin and act detached on top of being the shortest girl? Because it's cute and attractive, and this old cliche has earned similar anime and games a lot of money in the past. These aren't original combinations of character traits in the least but a series of adherence to old formulas that worked in terms of profit. I praised Elizabeth on terms of her sexiness earlier, but that doesn't make her an original or decent character. Of course, I wouldn't mind these stereotypes if the writing for the humor and character interaction was compelling in any way, but the case for that is nil.
Quote:
Its a fun show, and hell it probably teaching more westerners about a sport that most likely have never really heard of before. lol
What I can agree with is its sparse education merits on the topic of soft tennis. Of course, this takes a backseat to fanservice and cute hijinks so it's not worth sitting through for the knowledge.
Quote:
But seriously, the parts cut out and edited out don't have much relevance to the show itself other than jokes, which the show already has plenty of. People focus too much on the small bits they don't get rather than what they do get...
The show has plenty of jokes, but the only funny one was the bread loaf in episode 2. None of the other humor has even made me smile, let alone laugh. Soft Tennis is an utter failure at comedy, thus it can be only be valued for its scanty educational value and its fanservice. This is why some members here are dropping it: the only significant quality of this anime for them is its fanservice and if some of that is censored it removes the motivation for them to continue watching. I'm not going to drop this but I see almost no merits to it other than what I already said.

Don't fool yourself. Accept this anime for what it is and proceed accordingly. I'm not going to criticize you for watching or enjoying Soft Tennis but don't try to make it look like something it is not.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote