View Single Post
Old 2013-09-23, 13:48   Link #17
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
After watching the first episode, I decided to drop the anime. The concept art might be excellent, but like Kamichu (same artist), the writer wanted to tell a story that I wasn't interested in. In this case, though the writer is known for not running away from controversial thematology, and is rarely didactic towards his audience, following a more dialectic approach and giving solid arguments to both protagonists and antagonists. Still until the genocide episode, I was not convinced that a greater conflict was probable, but happened and very well executed at both character and setting level.

What I would have liked to see more, are episodes focusing on the daily lives on both fleets that the mecha landed, as well as the pirates (those abhorred episodes with belly-dancing and BBQ that are targeted by "high" criticism), but I understand that there had to be a balanced between world-building and conflict, and in any case they are already the focus of doujinshi. The final battle action could have been shorter, but I guess fanservice is very hard to cut down since it is a main source of income for the producers. It also burned a lot of the animation budget, that the slice-of-life episodes lacked.

Last edited by Malkuth; 2013-10-10 at 13:48.