View Single Post
Old 2010-02-22, 00:07   Link #7071
Charred Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betteroffer View Post
The thing is, that is who he was before the tragedies of his life shifted him around. I've mentioned this before, but if the events around them hadn't played out as they did, then Lelouch would have likely grown up holding Suzaku's "work within the system" philosophy, while Suzaku would hold Lelouch's "fight the system" philosophy.

This as well applies to their personalities. Lelouch was originally a gentle person, but the murder of his mother and his and Nunally's banishment forced him to grow up into a person who believed that you had to be ruthless to survive, even when he didn't want to believe it, and his heart struggled with the concept, resulting in his atempts to play the villain as he did.

Similarly, Suzaku originally believed in some shonen-esque fight-with-your-heart-and-to-hell-with-the-rules ideal, but killing Genbu, a real person and his own father of all things, left him with a deep wound in his psyche and an ugly feeling in his heart, and the fact that no one punished him (like how the shonen hero always gets off for all the carnage he causes) made him feel horrified by the idea of being able to kill without punishment, thus he tried desperately to be the mild, submissive "good boy" that follows the rules, even though, like Lelouch, his heart strained at the concept. This is best shown in the Japanese language version when Mao reveals how he killed Genbu. Suzaku starts alternating between "ore" and "boku" which are different ways of saying "I" in Japanese. The former is very masculine, while the latter is less so. This is Suzaku having a very severe identity crisis.

EDIT: As for Luciano, while I can't say I'll be joining any fanclubs for the guy, I can't say I hated him either. To me he was just too much of a straight Bastard-put-here-just-to-be-a-bastard-and-get-killed-so-the-fans-go-Yay for me to really hate him as a person. I dislike him yes, but what I disliked more was that R2 was "reducing itself" to employing a character like him, especially when the series seemed to make a point of trying to portray everyone as human to at least some degree in the first season.

In truth, I tend to think that he was one of the most powerful members of the Rounds, losing out only to Suzaku and Bismarck in terms of skill, as it better justifies his presence despite his personality.
Code Geass tried to make it's characters seem human?

Is this the same Code Geas where the hero basically comes off as worse than the Axs Powers? Is this the same Code Geass which protrayed the Britannians as goofy racist people so people don't give a crap when Lelouch "heroically" tells them to kill themselves? At one point the hero brainwashes thousands of people so that he can use them to basically kill themselves for him.

It's pretty clear that neither Taniguchi or Okouchi saw the world of Code Geass as a fleshed out world or they wouldn't have witten Lelouch as the bastard he was. Compare that to say the Wheel of Time where you saw that Jordan actually did see the world he created as a fleshed out world, he wrote the characters as if they where actually alive, and talked about tragedies as if they actually happened in real life.

Now compare that to Lelouch killing 100,000 innocent people by blowing up Mt. Fuji. With Lelouch Taniguchi and Okouchi still saw him as the hero even after the atrocities where commited simply because they never cared about the atrocities that where commited. I cared more about Code Geass than they did.
Charred Knight is offline   Reply With Quote