Thread: Defrag: A myth?
View Single Post
Old 2007-08-15, 10:55   Link #53
grey_moon
Yummy, sweet and unyuu!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sephi View Post
Ah ok. Perhaps i should give it a try again. I never saw my 2gb being used yet with doing normal things. (not counting opening huge size 200 frames gif files )

And those things you mention grey_moon, you mean nand or those solid state harddisk or whatever there name is. I hope those become mainstream soon. Windows on one of those flash memories. And data on a normal hard disk. I just hate windows booting time. Saw a video of it somewhere. Windows booting in 15 seconds ready to use...
Hoo hoo a little more older then that, I mean the 4GB DDR PCI things. Basically they are just memory with a battery to keep the data alive. The benefit of them apart from speed is that they can take many writes which nand can't do. The problem with them is they are bleeping expensive for what u get. U need the card which is over 100 USD and then 4GB of memory which is cheaper now I guess, but not cheap compared to conventional storage.

http://www.nxsource.com/products/122...TE/GC_RAMDISK/

I remember chatting to some people about it in a linux expo. They were trying to come up with some method of "nuking" their hard drives for what ever reason. I pointed these out to them and said if you remove the battery then if any one powers it off for what ever reason it will be real hard to recover any of the data.

*edit*
Hee hee thinking about it, it is a solid state hard disk isnt it and the above example is a sata one and when I was reading up about them, they interfaced via the PCI slot.