View Single Post
Old 2017-09-01, 09:33   Link #35612
Lila

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benkai_Debussy View Post
I've been reading a bunch of past replies in this thread and elsewhere (since most discussion about Umineko obviously occurred long before I read it), and I'm genuinely confused by people who don't seem to understand Yasu's motives (when they're already aware of the details, that is, because I can understand thinking her actions are bizarre if you believe the issue is just Battler not returning). I think that it's a flaw of Umineko's that the motive isn't made more clear, but it should make perfect sense once you understand it.
(Even though I am not following the Skanontrice-solution, I still want to reply )
I think in reality people have run amok for - objectively seen - "lesser" reasons. There are so many factors that influence a person that it's hard to say what impact certain events have on someone.
So I think it's not unthinkable that Sayo would commit mass-murder. But I'll add this: She blames Battler in Episode 4 - a person who as a 12- (!) year-old boy promised to come to the island - for the events on Rokkenjima. If it meant so much to her, she should have left the island and looked for him. Instead she chose mass-murder...
So no matter how you look at it, even if I won't call her motives unrealistic, to defend her is damn hard in my opinion. But even Sayo herself admits this at the end - that she was always finding excuses and was always the passive one, hoping for someone else to "save" her. And so she herself admits what you criticise here:

Quote:
edit: The worst thing is the people who act like Yasu had some self-pity complex, when her problems were actually really, really bad! It's like looking at transgender suicide rates and saying "heh clearly they just couldn't stop pitying themselves" (and Yasu's situation is arguably even worse than that in a variety of ways). It's an attitude that clearly seems to stem from a person having a sheltered, easy life themselves.
You know, there are many many people who aren't transgender who have big issues with their body as well. And there are many other reasons to be unhappy. Even in your so-called "sheltered life" you can become damn unhappy. That means as long as your situation isn't worse or at least not just as bad, you're not allowed to criticise her? You are defending a mass-murderer... Why would Battler, George, Maria and Jessica have to die? You try to reject the argument of "self-pity", but how? Sayo always waited for someone to "understand" her, without ever even TALKING to other people like George. She assumed that he would reject her, but she doesn't even know how he would react. Again: she skipped all that and went straight for mass-murder. How would someone be able to understand her if she keeps it all to herself? So I'm also one of those "worst people", I can't help but consider it self-pity. She cries and cries but NEVER tries to change anything about her situation. She herself admits that in Episode 8. And while she herself wants people to care about her and her situation, she not once asks herself if - for example - maybe George isn't as happy as he pretends to be either. She doesn't care for anyone else but herself.
This is my personal opinion, so of course, feel free to disagree, but I really dislike Sayo as a character, because she never tries to change anything on her own. That's why the alterations in Episode 8 manga are so good! She finally stops blaming everyone else and in the chapter "Umineko no naku koro ni", she actively influences the outcome of the story in a positive way.
(I'm saying all this without following the Shkanontrice-theory)

Last edited by Lila; 2017-09-02 at 09:58.
Lila is offline   Reply With Quote