Thread: Licensed Kyoshiro to Towa no Sora
View Single Post
Old 2007-01-13, 20:09   Link #157
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I'm starting to think people need to see KnM before watching this to get this, not because of any references to the plot, but because of the similarities in style and swagger. I think a lot of people miss that this is an unusual style of story-telling (with an unusual story) where the emphasis isn't so much on creating a premise and following a plot, but more on putting the main character in overwhelming situations and following how she emotionally reacts. Which is why both this and KnM have easily-awed main characters and lots of internal commentaries. I think it's a very unusual mix of shoujo or shounen that a lot of people find difficult to grasp.

Ep 2.
Even if this show does start sucking, I'll continue watching because I've just totally fallen in love with the soundtrack. That's the difference between this and other shows that people say suck... I know for certain that there'll be something in this that I like. But, tbh, I don't think this sucks. I'm actually quite enjoying this show, even though I'll admit that the over-the-top style, the bizarre character actions, the weird setting and premise, etc, are an acquired taste. The rules of engagement seem to be set and there's a stark parallel with Mai-Otome, in that "anything goes". That's fair enough, but I think that could pave the way for some deus ex machina appearing in the plot later on. I'm still worried that the antagonists are (again) flat, with Chikane's (I mean Kaon's) mistress seems generic and "evil" for the sake of it. The other two (whose names aren't important enough to remember) actually had a refreshingly human interaction, but it was hurt by an attempt at humour that wasn't that funny. At least there's a hint at more-than-meets-the-eye for those two.

Good stuff so far. I dig shows like this that are willing to be strange and draw things from several genres. I suppose it's just not for everyone.
Sorrow-K is offline   Reply With Quote