View Single Post
Old 2008-04-09, 07:54   Link #74
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
I personally prefer this version. This is mainly because the flight scene during the concert shows Sheryl's professionalism more than anything else. She was willing to drop her 'hatred' of alto's team and improvised maginficently like any decent star should be able to when disaster strikes. Props to her; she's gained many plus points for me.
I agree, that was probably the ONE thing that was good about this version.

Quote:
So while I love synchronized pew pew with song just like in DYRL, I'd take character development over that this early in the series anyday. It's only episode one after all, and there's still plenty of chances of something that grand near the end of the series, no?
But the thing was, the whole first ep back in December just felt better choreographed and they used all the major musical themes instead of holding back. Also, why tease with the epic then decidedly scale it back? I'm borderline angry at the staff for even doing that. I mean, what purpose does it serve? If they wanted exposition, they could have continued in ep 2, ep 3, etc. But like you said, I think the one part where Sheryl showed professionalism was good. But that could've been done in any other episode.

It's like "oh, let's make the director's cut into something like an OVA quality with great flow" then "oh, let's scale everything back and re-do it and pull in the reins". If they were going to do that, why even release the director's cut? Yeah, 25th anniversary and all, but I just think they created the pitfall for themselves. I really don't think it's that big a criticism personally, but I think there's legitimacy in why ep 1 feels a bit like a letdown. Hopefully, Kanno didn't scale back the OST too much after this either.

Quote:
Still, I loved Ranka's 'Ai Oboete Imasuka', as her performance there is heads and tails above her performance with the new ED. Oh well, I have a creeping suspicion that would be one of the in-story songs whenever Ranka becomes an idol. (Seriously now, who doesn't see that coming? Her VA was chosen from an audition where singing played a major part after all)
I have a feeling the ED is a placeholder. Too short to stay there for long.

Also, I sort of wish Ranka does not become the new Minmay. That'd be a tad bit too stereotypical. Maybe they should let her go guerilla/indy like with Fire Bomber?