View Single Post
Old 2010-05-10, 23:46   Link #152
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mughi View Post
Do you have kids? If you do, have you ever watched them play without noticing you in the room? DO you remember being 15? Do you recall all the inane little stuff that mattered and seemed interesting or amusing before you "grew up" and became cynical and jaded? That's what this eps was about.

I have watched a LOT of anime over my years and I personally haven't seen anything that has taken the tiniest details and shown them from multiple people's perspectives as this did, up until now... if there is a show that has done it (and don't say Suzumiya Haruhi) I'd like to go watch it...
What tiny details? Like what are we even talking about here? Again I'm still not seeing anything remarkable or exceptional being pointed out to me about this episode.

As for shows that do the multiple people's perspectives and incidental details, I'd say that Durarara is doing a much better job at that sort of thing and gets a huge plus for actually keeping things interesting. Then again that show actually has different things going on each week other than just girls being girls. The problem is yet again that I have just seen this concept presented by K-On done to death, and K-On alone is taking a concept that has already been run into the ground as of late and is driving it right to the center of the Earth at mach speeds.

You're calling up these "everyday life" things like it's supposed to be something special or unheard of in anime, but it really isn't and I don't understand why people praise this sort of stuff like it's exceptional since there's practically an entire sub-genre of the slice of life genre dedicated to it. In fact there's even another show this season that I would say is milking the concept in Working! K-On practically does the "everyday life" thing every single week except it's a really idealized, escapist and cutesy picture of life, the same one I see in pretty much ever All Girl Slice of Life show.

Again just doing "everyday life" is not going to cut it for me in terms of getting praise or me calling it anything other than run of the mill since I've seen it so many times by now in many different shows, sometimes in ways that challenge me as a viewer to focus and channel my interest towards the actions of the characters and sometimes not. If this episode was supposed to inspire something in me then it failed miserably at that as well.

Anyway until I see this show actually do something that sets it apart I'm probably going to have the same comments every week.