View Single Post
Old 2011-10-12, 14:42   Link #2411
Sunder the Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiresias View Post
I'm starting to think he said that more because she had no magic affinity for those fields of expertise. Nanoha is like Merril: sweet, polite, and have a skillset dedicated to unleashing ungodly amount of pain
That's one of the conclusions I reached. I thought I mentioned it here or somewhere, but maybe the thought didn't make the final draft.

Likewise, I don't remember if I mentioned how "fields / kekkai" seem to be a rare specialty among magic-users.

Other than Yuuno and Shamal, who has the ability to cast more than one kind? Or even just one?

The Arthra's aerial mages need to work together to cast a Temporal Distortion Field that approximates the Magical Prison spell Vita cast all by herself.

Chrono has only ever used one field spell, in the sound stages. From the sound of it, Chrono defined the field of a training chamber's walls with a barrier spell, to prevent any attacks from damaging the walls. This failed to prevent Fate from doing just that with Photon Lancer, her weaknest projectile.

Chrono mentions that he can make the next one stronger, but also remarks on how difficult and tricky field magic is. Then he hits upon the idea of bringing Yuuno on board to do it for him.

At a later date, in the Mid/Belka match of the manga, Chrono expects Yuuno to do better than he did, despite trying to contain far greater destructive force from three mages, and apparently doesn't even attempt to help Yuuno at all.

(We'll ignore how that turned out, because after the battle against the Defense Program, there's no way these two veterans should have thought Yuuno could do it. At least Yuuno shouldn't have claimed there would be no damage.)
Sunder the Gold is offline   Reply With Quote