View Single Post
Old 2010-09-13, 14:40   Link #17600
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
That was a pretty interesting line of thought. And anti-mystery breakdown... maybe this really means that umineko will be revealed to be not a mystery novel.
Oliver had a thought of these things as a trinity of sorts.

Mystery, Anti-Mystery, and Breakdown Mystery, or something to that effect.

With mystery, you're concerned with using information available to solve a crime. With anti-mystery, you're positing that a crime exists, but not enough information exists to solve it.

So what is the logical breakdown there? No information? Irrelevant information? A true but incomplete eyewitness account (Oliver suggested this prospect, and it would fit with Ryukishi's "1+1" solution concept)? Not enough information even to know whether a crime happened at all? The revelation that there is no answer?

I have no idea, but I'm confident in saying that ep8 will draw on thematic and character elements from ep4 (so we might expect to see more Ange, more Battler, and perhaps more Rosa and Maria), and yet at the same time play itself up to the extreme variant of ep4. Since ep4 itself ended with a baffled Battler unable to make sense of what happened, it's tough to imagine ending on an even more clueless note... but we'll have to see how he twists it around. Certainly, few people would argue ep6 and ep7 are all that similar to ep2 and ep3, but thematically they certainly are.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote