View Single Post
Old 2011-03-09, 02:59   Link #6106
naikou
Slashy Slashy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladD View Post
Also, about his writing speed, it is nothing amazing, he is a professional author. Besides food, sleep and the occasional tour, he has plenty of time to write. And not all the things he writes are new. It is essentially the same story, told (and retold) from different viewpoints. There is only a single true story, and only a bit of it is revealed in each episode. The rest of the episode is comprised of making up a soft layer of magic and mystery.
Even professional authors rewrite their work many, many times. I have heard 10 times is not uncommon from an editor friend of mine.

And come on, every episode of Umineko is VASTLY different, it's not like Ryukishi could just copy and paste EP1, and change it slightly for EP2. They all had to be written from scratch, and even the basic structure of each episode is different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladD
As Jim Butcher said (the author of the Dresden Files), most of the fantasy stories are the same, the underdog protagonist gathers his merry bunch of wizards or hobbits or knights and goes on an adventure to stop something evil/save someone. The finer details comprise of 30 % of random conversations about food or weather, and 70 % explaining an environment like a forest or a mountain, or a lake. It's similar with detective stories. 10 different types of characters, 20 types of backgrounds, 1 or several killers, few love stories. Make a random permutation of people with roles and places and you have a story.
Except that Umineko is not just some fantasy novel, nor mystery novel, nor any kind of genre fiction. Umineko does not waste inordinate amounts of times describing scenery, like some fantasy authors (hullo there Robert Jordan), and it devotes far more time than any mystery novel to creating solid, believable characters, and expressing actual themes and ideas. Find me another mystery novel that expresses complex issues in epistemology, or a fantasy novel which rationally explains how magic is possible (and is logically correct in doing so!).

I think you are seriously underestimating the scope and technical execution skill of Umineko. It is far from "throw 20 characters in a blender and see what happens, lol", and it is nothing like any other mystery or fantasy novel I have ever read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladD
For proof, look at the scene where Maria lost her rose, and people went into the storm to look after her. Repetition much?
What, because Maria says "uu" a lot? That is not even close to the same thing as recycling plot elements. Or do you actually think that a character repeating themselves is the same as taking the plot of "Lord of the Rings", changing it slightly, and then publishing it over and over, like many fantasy authors?
naikou is offline   Reply With Quote