View Single Post
Old 2004-10-28, 11:21   Link #37
7thMethuselah

My native language is Flemish, which in theory is the same as dutch but we use different expressions and words for the same situations while both are grammatically correct (the dutch use "jij" while flemish will use "gij" for example) and the pronounciation can differ.
Personally I find German a very cool sounding language, since it sounds like a softer version of dutch, also it has a feeling of power with it. I also like the sounds of most scandinavian languages (they are all in the same language family(the german language group)). However I hate the Roman languages, imo they don't sound good, especially french (even though I'm quite good at it too)

Learning the German language isn't easy because of the beforementioned namefalle (those take quite a bit of practice), and the genders, but if you wanna be able to conversate with germans there is no real need to know all of these perfectly. I'd say go for it if you are interested in them. If you can speak dutch or a scandinavian language allready, or even english to a certain extent, you'll find that the vocabulary isn't all that hard, and this is allready a major part in any language study.

PS About the "Afrikaans" : any native dutch/flemish speaking person can understand it easilly, because it practically the same although they use extremely funny words and expressions all the time (for dutch speaking ppl that is). Try speaking to someone who knows Afrikaans, you'll find it very amusing

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcool
ps: try try pronouncing Sch from Scheveningen =P
its harder than you think
LOL, so very true, what about "schoolschrift" (schoolbook) a real tongtwister for those who can't handle the "sch" (which is not the english sch btw )
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote