View Single Post
Old 2012-05-25, 00:52   Link #127
ranchan13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergel02 View Post
I wrote this on tumblr, but i figured i could post it here too. Mostly cuz i was bored, but i like how it came out.

___

Why I think Lucy is the protagonist of Fairy Tail

Now this isn’t a huge thing about which character is more of a “main” than others or which is more important, but more just to show that Lucy is a protagonist. I hear from quite a few people who believe she isn’t that important of a character, or that the story would go on fine without her.

But Fairy Tail can’t go on without her, because it is Lucy’s story.

Fairy Tail is Lucy’s telling of her journey in the guild, with Natsu as the focus. The whole series didn’t begin until Lucy came into the picture, with the story commencing at her joining of Fairy Tail. The way I see it, Natsu is the Hero of the story while Lucy is the Protagonist and Narrator.

Natsu is the Hero of the story. He is the guy who is a good friend to his guildies, the guy who battles the “big boss” at the end of an arc, and he has the personality fitting of the Hero. The Hero, however, isn’t always the one the story follows.

Lucy could be considered as the Supporting Protagonist

The story is told from her perspective, and it’s a writing technique that is pretty uncommon, but I praise Mashima for doing so. Definitely makes things interesting. It’s not often you’ll find a shounen series with a female protagonist.

As said before, Fairy Tail follows the story of Lucy, her adventures in the guild, and her life. Including the current manga and anime arc, we have around 3-4 arcs centered around just Lucy. The stories of others are important to her, as they are a part of her life, which is why we see their stories so much. Fairy Tail as we see it is Lucy’s telling of those stories.

Again, this isn’t to compare anything. Both Natsu and Lucy are vital to the story. This is just to show people that Lucy is important to the whole thing. That seems obvious to me, but I’ve encountered many who still see her as an important side character only.

Without Lucy, there would be no Fairy Tail.

*It should be noted that Fairy Tail refers to the series, while Fairy Tail (without the italics) refers to the guild.
What you're basically describing Lucy as is The Great Gatsby's character Nick Carraway, which is, I think, the most accurate description of her I've seen
Integrated
Artificial
Lifeform
ranchan13 is offline   Reply With Quote