View Single Post
Old 2013-01-11, 21:26   Link #49
Dahak86
Classics never age

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Now, a female character may look attractive in combat just because she has an attractive character design in general. That's fine. And I don't have a problem with "plug suits" because they typically make sense in-canon. But that's different than the camera taking a perverted "male gaze" approach that I think is simply unwarranted and very distracting when what the camera is "filming" is a serious fight.
Ask yourself the following: if such stuff's truly as unwarranted as you say, then why is it there? why do you think it's there?

Quote:
But "serious fight" is the context. Or to be more precise, "fighting" is what is happening, and "serious" is the context. The stakes are high and/or the combatants are taking this very seriously, and so we have a serious context for this fight.

My point is just because a serious fight takes place in a relatively lighthearted work doesn't detract from the seriousness of the fight itself. And with a serious fight I don't want to be distracted by fanservicey elements that are completely superfluous to the fight itself.
You seem to have this weird tendency of taking things much more seriously than they're supposed to be taken...
Dahak86 is offline   Reply With Quote