View Single Post
Old 2013-03-21, 21:33   Link #103
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
2) I think that the overall visual/audio-quality of anime has improved considerably over the past few years in most respects. Animation that would have been "stand-out" a few years ago is now just expected. Animation studios are almost a victim of their own success here. They've perfected the audio-visual side of things to the point that people increasingly take it for granted (I'll admit I'm guilty of this myself sometimes). Writing quality, however, remains highly variable, so it gets a lot of attention.

I honestly can't think of a recent anime that looked downright ugly to me. But I can think of recent anime that had some really questionable plots, lol.
Like Warm Mist, I disagree that animation in anime has unanimously improved over the years. If anything, TV anime continues to rely heavily on a limited range of art and character designs, and lots of shortcuts are still taken in the animation process.

That is more a result of limited time and budget than a failure of artists and animators to innovate. But even so, there will be the occasional TV anime that manages to transcend its resource limitations. Aoi Bungaku comes to mind right away. The approach to art was still largely conventional, but the way it was applied to very interesting and oblique interpretations of famous Japan novels made a world of difference in my enjoyment of the anime.

In any case, I vaguely recall a handful of threads that have discussed this issue in more detail. This one for example: Sterile Animation and Art in Anime

EDIT:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
However, when people heavily criticize the visuals in Angel Beats! is when I start to feel lost when it comes to evaluating animation quality. Like I don't have "the eye" and/or the training necessarily to judge animation. I've seen Angel Beats! get bashed a lot for its animation quality, and honestly, I don't know why people consider it so bad. In contrast, when people criticize an anime's writing quality, I at least "get" what they're saying, even if I don't agree with it.
I sympathise. I feel the same way when it comes to evaluating the performance of voice actors. To me, they all sound equally good and I hardly recall ever hearing Japanese voice acting in anime that made me wince, unlike the case in English-dubbed or Taiwan Mandarin-dubbed anime. I guess I haven't yet developed an "ear" for detecting differences that would enable me to critique their delivery effectively.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2013-03-21 at 22:28.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote