View Single Post
Old 2007-07-21, 10:13   Link #23
CandyVanMan
Part Time Hikikomori

For me, it's all conditional. Some songs need the lyric to hold them together but the words themselves don't have to be understandable. Sometimes the words can be merely a 'glue' to the rhythmic and melodic qualities of the song. Yet, carefully chosen words in the lyrics can make or break a song by defying the feel of the tune, with or without being understandable or in context.

The White Stripes come to mind as an example where good song writing and lyrics can make enjoyable hit tunes with a very simple 2 piece arrangement. Using their song "My Doorbell" for an example, consider replacing the words "Thinking about my doorbell" with "Listening to my doorbell". While the words have the same overall syllable count and potentially the same meaning; The impact or "beat" would be lost to the sonically dragging "s" and long "o" in "to".

On the other hand; Music history is filled with "illiterate" singing such as Scat in Jazz and Beat Boxing in Hip-Hop. Don't forget "Louie Louie". Does anybody know the words to that song?

Also, listening to foreign music and watching foreign TV/films are a few of my ways to appreciate how little I actually know and explore how small my 'real' world is compared to the world as a whole. It also helps as a learning tool for a language because, in singing, the pronunciation is often guided by the song giving a feel on how the words can best be used, intoned, and said.
CandyVanMan is offline   Reply With Quote