View Single Post
Old 2012-12-15, 19:18   Link #40
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I was informed I should snap a pic of the members list ... I had no idea of my position.
The winner speaks!
Images
Screenshot of ranked reputation list
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
(That's as much as I could fit on my screen for a snapshot; sorry to those who weren't included.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
I do understand where the sentiment is coming from, but this is exactly what I think is coming off as slightly elitist. This is not a work place. Naturally in a work place you should respect the more experienced because they're obviously going to know more than you generally and can play active roles in guiding your development/experience.
It's not always the case that a more senior member knows more than a new recruit. But look at it in the context of human culture: why do we universally respect our elders? It's not necessarily because they know more or are more skilled; if nothing else, they've certainly experienced more. It's a similar thing here - it's a discussion forum, but it's a community. Some people have grown close here, some have met offline; it's not so impersonal and purely discussion-driven as other forums I've participated in. The system was a way for people to feel appreciated back by the community, and to have something to show for themselves and to others. It sounds a bit silly, in a way. And I suppose you could claim it's elitism that pleasure was derived from these members having something that others did not (number of green blocks), but was it a bad thing? Have you ever witnessed anyone putting down a newer member based on their join date or lack of reputation? I wouldn't be surprised to hear if it's happened two or three times, but I'd be surprised to hear that it was widespread or occurring any more frequently than that.