View Single Post
Old 2012-03-10, 15:06   Link #94
syke123

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
All I'm suggesting is that what's meant to be symbolic to the writers (and thus to the audience) doesn't have to be symbolic to the characters in the show itself, i.e. to Kurosu in this case. Mana (真名) and Shuu (集) are both perfectly acceptable Japanese names. It's not like the writers are saying there's no other possible meaning behind them just by telling us Kurosu's reasoning behind the choice of Shuu's name.

And sorry for giving the wrong impression - I wasn't actually trying to say anything about the spelling of 'cover up / coverup / cover-up' - just about what you're trying to argue the writers did.
Yeah I kind of misunderstood, but you're right. In my case whenever I watch anything that has a deeper picture, I tend to over analyze and try at portraying the real thing.

The names are Japanese as well, maybe not often used, but I do agree that it isn't some conspiracy how they'd name them. Especially when the Japanese versions have their own appeal to them. Specifically Mana that represents an apple, instead of a holy edible plant. Perhaps they coincide with each other, perhaps they don't and have but a sole meaning, who knows?