View Single Post
Old 2012-06-25, 18:53   Link #1605
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flower View Post
Well ... Teru is scary as ever. Man. Ruthless....

While the series is an excellent adaptation of the manga series thus far, I really am beginning to question what the point of it is in an over-arching level. We have not even left the senpo round of the side A semifinals here and there are only 2 eps left?
I don't want to take too much away from this show's main protagonists, but I think it's pretty clear that the narrative we've seen in this show is meant to compliment rather than supplant or be distinct from the original Saki narrative.

As such, the main roles of the Achiga girls are to further flesh out the Sakiverse, and to provide a different and more complete perspective on all of the major players within it (especially Teru).

I've often compared Saki to pro wrestling, but even I'm surprised at how far this series goes with that pro wrestling way of doing things.

Teru is the "Monster Heel", and somebody needs to be sacrificed to her in order to "put her over". What I put in quotation marks are common pro wrestling terms, and they refer to the process by which your top "bad guy" (i.e. heel) is built up to be as impressive and threatening as possible in the eyes of the audience. To accomplish this, it helps if they get to dominate against, and defeat, an important secondary "good guy". Not the main "good guy", but nonetheless a popular and established "good guy" that the fans like.

That's the role that's been given to Team Achiga, and to Kuro in particular. It's also a role given to Toki and Miss Marvelous (heck, Miss Marvelous' whole reason for being on her Nationals team hints at this in a meta-way ).

A lot of this goes back to the old narrative convention of "show, don't tell". It's more effective to actually watch Teru totally dominate people then simply being told about how she typically does so. It's more effective still when the audience cares (at least a little bit) about the characters that Teru is dominating.

Edit: Oh, and awesome photoshop work, Kogetsu. Really great to see Saki and Fate/Zero combined like that, lol.