View Single Post
Old 2010-06-04, 23:55   Link #62
fischkopp123

I don't get this. Wasn't the SSS fighting Angel, because of the cruel fates the SSS members experienced in life and the unfairness of being tossed into a surrogate world, where they have to behave like good students in order to eventually pass on, losing their memories and being reborn as mindless animals?

I don't get Otonashi's reasoning from episode 9. So he wants to make everyone disappear to make them feel at peace. And Kanade wants to make them enjoy the happy youth they didn't have in real life. Then what about the barnacle stuff from the beginning? That didn't change at all. What about Yuri's suspicions about Kanade not getting her powers from god?

With only 3 more episodes to go and a core group of about 10 people (excluding Otonashi), how are they going to end the series without rushing through it after lingering on so many unimportant topics like Naoi's background (without showing the reason for his death), the prolonged baseball game event, the destruction of the guild? All of those events might have been important in one way or another, but they felt extremely stretched. Next episode might even be about something completely different than making people disappear and the last episode would surely have to deal with a stubborn Yuri and some kind of credible ending.

quoting Wikipedia here:

"The Aniplex producer of Angel Beats!, Hironori Towa, was interviewed in the November 2009 issue of Dengeki G's Magazine, where he commented that a 13-episode anime with about 21 minutes per episode was not enough to tell the whole story of Angel Beats! Maeda had envisioned. Therefore, the various additional media, such as the illustrated short stories and manga, contain some of the story that was unable to make it into the anime because of time constraints. Towa wanted fans of the series to be able to enjoy it to the fullest by exploring all of the media types."

So far I thought of the series as an omnium gatherum of random stuff. There's no consistent pursue of the main plot, some dead ends and in the end we might be sent off with some kind of cliffhanger long before the final conclusion, because we're supposed to "enjoy it to the fullest by exploring all of the media types", that will follow. Kind of like the .hack/universe.

I might be nitpicking here, but I think they could have made this show so much better by sticking closer to the main plot and not lingering about and having to rush in the end.