Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-02-21, 23:30   Link #71
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

So it was Channel 36. I could never remember which station it was on in the mornings around 1980 and 1981.

As for the game, as far as I know it is since the stats are suppose to be from Japanese sources like the Roman Albums. The class names may or may not be canon. But I think the Japanese are even using the Star Blazers EDF Techical Manual for some of their own information, and some of them have been using those as the class names.

Power of the weapons and stuff is of course approximated to simulate how things look in the show. For example: In their first encounter with the Comet Empire's battleships, Yamato can destroy one at long range with two turrets worth of Shock Cannon fire. This translates to 6 points of damage from each battery for 12 points of damage. A Cometine Battleship has 126 hull boxes...but 12 boxes per row, with a critical hit at the end of each row. There is a 4% chance that a ship will explode from a critical hit. Yamato hits the critical spots every time she fires in the show.

However things like the Wave Motion Gun are toned down a bit. I guess in playtesting the idea that Yamato could basically destroy the other side of the table with one shot seemed imbalanced. She can still put out a decent amount of damage with it, ranging form 34 points of damage to 70 points of damage. The later versions have spread effects to cover additional hexes and can do more damage (Andromada does between 66 and 120 points of damage and can effect three additional hexes).

The longest and still more fustrating part of the game is missile fire...something that didn't happen all that often in the original show in ship to ship engagements. Since it is: choose and fire missiles: defend against missiles, results of missile attack...it can take up to a hour to resolve all the missile fire for one turn if everyone fires missiles and decides to try to shoot them down.

Some of us have been attempting to make a quicker resolution version of the missile rules and have managed to get large missile actions down to 30 minutes, but it favors the defense as with the new system, they cannot miss completely. We take all their possible defensive fire damage and translate that to a number of dice that can at most equal that number if one rolled the maximum possible numbers on those dice. Using the least amount of dice possible as the minimum amount of damage you can put out is the number of dice used rolling all ones. (If you had a max defensive number of say 78, you would use 3 twenty sided dice, 1 twelve side die, and 1 six sided die...if you have those avalible.) Whatever number you roll is the amount of missiles knocked out. (There are small range modifiers)

Last edited by Ithekro; 2012-02-21 at 23:53.
Ithekro is offline   Reply With Quote