View Single Post
Old 2012-07-20, 07:55   Link #18
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Hmmm, that's a hard list of requirements. I can suggest some anime that match parts of what you want but not all of the requirements.

I'd probably go with:

Cross Game which is focused around a highschool romance, although it takes the whole series to develop it. The themes are not childish at all, there is some school life aspect, comedy isn't too heavy. However, while certainly the major theme, the romance is very low key.

Maison Ikkoku which is a romantic comedy, following a young man entering college and his landlady, a young widow. It has a lot of character development, and a very fulfilling ending to the romance. It is certainly not childish, although the main male character does go through quite a bit of growing up (from 19 to 24). There is quite a bit of comedy, the main male character is a bit of a hard luck fellow, and much of the comedy revolves around him being the universe's chew toy. It is considered one of the best anime romances ever. There are quite a few love triangles, although I thought they were resolved rather well. Warning: There is a see through nightgown in the first episode wore by one of the minor characters- she walks around in it again for the end of the first season, and then never wears it again. Not a major part of the plot, but thought you'd want to know before showing it to your wife.

Kimi Ni Todoke which is a cotton candy sweet romance about a shy highschool girl getting to make friends and slowly develop a romance with a nice boy. Very sweet, lots of school life, although mainly targeted at women, so it's from a female perspective. The romance is very innocent and so might be considered childish.

Ah My Goddess Flagship for the Magical Girlfriend genre. Young man in college (technical college, he's a motorhead) is visited by an angel who grants him a wish. Being wiser then most fellows, he wishes for the angel to stay with him forever. So she does. The romance doesn't progress very much beyond that, but it is a rather fun premise, that starts to develop into something like "Bewitched."

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote