View Single Post
Old 2011-04-16, 01:33   Link #2027
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis View Post
All true, but...

It's hard to reconcile all this with that brutal conversation Homura has with Sayaka in episode eight. As when Homura says, "You're sharp. / In fact, you're exactly correct. / I don't want to help you. / I simply don't want Madoka to have to watch you fall." Then she threatens to kill Sayaka: "I'll kill you myself right now, Sayaka Miki."

At times Homura does seem to act on behalf of all of the girls, as you say, and at others it seems she does so only for Madoka's sake. I hesitate to say it, but the anime's characterization of Homura does not seem consistent.
Reverse psychology. If Homura wanted to kill Sayaka, it would have been trivial. She first offered the nice way, and got rejected, then decided to try the tough approach. Personally I think if Kyoko hadn't interfered it would have worked. Rewatch the scene again and note the difference in Sayaka's expressions before/during/after the part where Homura's gem glows like crazy. There's a moment where Sayaka almost snaps out of her stupor.

I'm not saying that Homura values the other girls like she values Madoka. It's pretty clear that Madoka is on a pedestal compared to them (and let's be honest, even in real life we value our friends in different ways). It's easy to write her interventions off as simply being only for Madoka's sake, but like I said I don't think that is entirely true. It would make Homura into a truly heartless person, no better than Kyubey. She's definitely closed her heart....but I don't think she's lost her humanity yet.