View Single Post
Old 2004-01-14, 14:46   Link #33
JAppi
Banned

Send a message via AIM to JAppi Send a message via MSN to JAppi Send a message via Yahoo to JAppi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megane
First of all, I'd like to apologise if any of my contributions on these forums fall under the flamebait (or outright flaming) category. I was pretty surprised when JAppi said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
Notice how cammie and megane started to push this thread into a flame match?
I had never considered my posts to be flames, but perhaps I'm working with a different definition of flame here? I know that quite often I continue along a line of discussion that may best be left alone. I realise that sometimes I'm not very sutble, a little heavy-handed with my words. I don't make a habit out of challenging other people's opinions, but I like to see topics evolve, to branch out slightly from the original premise.
Well, I never said you were pushing it to a flame. I'm sorry. I wasn't very clear. I interpreted your definitions as a flow chart for forums.

Series of posts > Meaningful Conversation > Arguement > Heated debate > Flame heaven > Mass naked child events

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAppi
Yes, it's something I've done with this thread. I took the side of the extreme liberal, fearing any form of oppression that may result from an increase of thread lockdowns or user bans.
You are absolutly correct, closing more threads won't stop flames. The flames will still be there. They will just be more threads with flames in them. AFAIK the mods don't like locking threads anyways. I remember NoSanninWa saying once in the channel that whenever he locks a thread it reminds him that someone just doesn't get it.

Quote:
All in all, it was only a bit of intellectual fun. You'll probably find me not to be so opinionated in real life. Now, if this behavior is frowned upon, I'll stop it.
Me too, sometimes I like to start long winded discussions just because I like nested quotes.

Quote:
what I need, is an absolute answer to the question JAppi asked indirectly (if I read his post right), what is a flame?
That is the question! And no the answer is not 42.

Quote:
Hopefully some of the posts in this thread will provide good material towards deciding when one crosses over the line and enters flame-territory. Perhaps that's another reason why I've been a little forward wih my replies, because I wanted to make people realise that it isn't obvious (at least to me) what constitutes a flame or not. By replying with a little attitude, I've tried to get as close to the border of sensible discussion as possible.
It should be left entirely up to the mods, this *is* their forum and they should get the final say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonz20
Megane,

you didn't start a flame war here. All you started was a good spirited debate.
But when will this debate cross the line into flame territory?

Quote:
We (I and Cammie) were only questioning where you were coming from to better understand what you were trying to get at.
You shouldn't be deciding what other people are thinking. It will result in flames.

Quote:
now Jappi is different. you have a tendency to jump into a thread and post some rude comments without providing decent feedback. you're one of the reasons why this thread was started. a good example is this:

Example removed
I find that offensive. You are flaming me. Do not try and belittle me.

Quote:
I was actively posting on this thread so that pissed me off a bit. And from what I hear, you've done this numerous times and I've seen at least one other person in here posting his frustration over your flaming tendencies.
Whoop dee doo! One whole person! I also get tons of positive feedback. Infact I have a whole fanclub of people who think I'm god like.

Quote:
I admit, I've also been rude to others but that was during an argument.
So I can be rude to you right now and somehow it's okay? Why can't I just jump into the arguement and insult people? Is that any different at all then insulting people in the arguement?

Quote:
you are only 14
/me points at the profile button. You might wanna check your math again.

Quote:
but there are many young posters in here as well and they are nowhere near as bothersome as you are.
It's been established before, the age of the poster really has no bearing on whether or not they are capable of posting garbage. Bfdd who has been banned from the forum for posting flames is signifigantly older then me.

if you want to post a comment do it but don't pepper it with your cursings and force the thread to be closed by a mod.

Quote:
as for your comments. who are you to decide what is a meaningful conversation?
And what gives you the right to decide what's a meaningful conversation and what's not a meaningful conversation? My string of curse words can be seen as a meaninful converstation to some people.

Quote:
but don't put in your worthless flaming two cents in it...
Quote:
as for your comments. who are you to decide what is a meaningful conversation?
So, who are you to decide what is a meaningful conversation? You said that my posts are worthless. That is a flame. You directly insult me.

Quote:
I found it very humorous and ironic for you to be posting in this thread since you are one of the problems we are referring to.
Once again you flamed me. What makes you think you're so much better then me and you're allowed to flame me?

It is pointless for us to debate this. It *is* in the end up to the moderators to decide what is appropriate and what is not appropriate.

Last edited by NoSanninWa; 2004-01-14 at 16:16. Reason: Bizarre double-spacing was irritating to look at
JAppi is offline   Reply With Quote