View Single Post
Old 2012-03-25, 20:54   Link #8
TimeMask
Phantom Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I don't know how many posts I have unless I check, I don't care, and I think it's bad. What of it?

I've told you the reason it would be bad: it encourages spam. Spam is the absolute bane of any communication medium, and forums are no exception. If there is any one thing that should be avoided at all costs, it's spam. Do you disagree?

What's the good reason to displaying a post count? "You can see how active a member is?" I'll admit that I occasionally look at a user profile to see post count and posts per day (viewable in the statistics section of a profile), but that's only if I take interest in a user. If I see them posting, they're active, and does it really matter whether they're more or less active compared to someone else? Is it really that much effort to go into a user profile? Is it really that interesting to see everyone's post counts?

I'm not trying to say that post counts are useless. It's an interesting bit of info about someone. I just don't think it's critical information, and it's definitely not worth the risk of spam that it tends to encourage.
In your previous post you said there's no good reason to display post count yet in both of your posts you've been telling me good reasons for displaying post count, the blue writing is your posts:

It's nice to see a person's post count if you're really interested, and so it's nice that it's displayed in the profile. There's no good reason to display it prominently outside of the profile.

"You can see how active a member is?" I'll admit that I occasionally look at a user profile to see post count and posts per day (viewable in the statistics section of a profile),

You say there's no good reason yet you keep listing good reasons.