View Single Post
Old 2012-09-15, 12:18   Link #76
willx
Nyaaan~~

It's probably about time I get less vague about what I do since everyone else is self-disclosing.. I work in what is currently one of the most hated professions in the world.. I am an Investment Banker.

What's your Profession/your planned course to take up in college?
- I'm a junior/mid-level investment banker in Canada. I work on "Bay Street"
- I'm a business school Finance major with no minor, although I did take a significant amount of PoliSci, History and Classical Studies courses. (Asian Studies, Chinese/Japanese History, Greek Lit.)

Your Current Status.
- Currently I work advising large corporate clients in "Special Situations" such as financial distress or situations where refinancings, recapitalizations and restructurings are necessary.
- I previously worked in Equity Capital Markets and as a Generalist covering a variety of industries on the West Coast (Vancouver, Canada).
- So keep in mind that I had and have nothing to do with the financial crisis. I never made any bets in the market and I operate in Canada where we have the safest banks in the world .. apparently.

What made you choose it?
- Honestly? For the money. For lack of a kinder way of saying it .. I grew up impoverished. I also became very disgruntled and ungrateful for what my immigrant parents managed to accomplish .. but after I got out of highschool and faced the "real world" the rebelliousness stopped and the ice in my veins solidified. I got my act together, cut my hair and dyed it back black and "applied myself"

Are you happy with it?
- I have mixed feelings. I usually work stupidly long hours. 70-110 hours a week. So life really sucks at times. I also make a stupidly large amount of money. Also, the markets have been terrible lately and which surprisingly has not been good for business so now it's super slow.
- I work with some of the smartest most driven people I have ever had the privilege to meet which is great. The flip side is it's like swimming with sharks everyday.

How do you see yourself in the future?
- We'll see.. I've built up a decent nest egg of savings and I know I can't keep up this pace of work forever. I don't hate my job per say.. so I could see myself continuing to do something similar in the future.. Maybe Private Equity, Private Debt, Venture Capital .. Although it'd be interesting to work with a more global focus, like International Trade Finance in Singapore or maybe get a duo-JD/MBA and specialize in Financial + Legal Restructurings.
willx is offline   Reply With Quote