Thread: Licensed Akatsuki no Yona [Manga]
View Single Post
Old 2015-03-28, 18:58   Link #28
BPD Renegade

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalSpringFlower View Post
I started reading the manga and got almost to the end of the english version and now I have to agree. There is no hurry and the main plot is barely touched upon.

I find this manga unusual in many ways, this development is one of them. Usually when a fantasy manga becomes long (goes past 10 volumes) it's either all action & plot (Claymore, for example) or all romance (pretty much every long shoujo manga) but Yona is neither while it has some elements of both. It is a very confident story that allows itself to linger on character development for even some very secondary characters (Tae-Jun, I'm talking about you.)
Oh yes, I have no complaints whatsoever about the pacing. It's so nice having a properly developed story. And I ended up loving Tae-Jun. He started off as such an obnoxious pompous ass, but he's so endearing now. I would love to see the next arc animated. As the arc progressed, I had been entertaining the idea of him having a part in the Hiryuu mythos as well, as the sword or shield, since he clearly wasn't ready for any sort of responsibility. But, I've settled with Hak and Suwon in those roles for the moment.

Quote:
Oh, and I started to really like Ki-Ja. He's neglected in the anime once the story moves past their original meeting, but he's such a interesting character and I find his personality and outlook to be one of the most unusual things the manga has to offer. His attitude, too--usually when you see someone who is like a "monster' but actually loves being one and considers it a noble and beautiful thing, that character will be a villain or at least an anti-hero.
Yes, the manga extras really flesh out Ki-Ja and Jae-ha. It's kind of a shame that a lot of their backgrounds are not included in the main story, and hence won't be animated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
And I stopped at Zeno's intro....
Spoiler:
Only click below if you want to be spoiled. And if you don't, avoid the first page of this thread.
Spoiler for :
BPD Renegade is offline   Reply With Quote