View Single Post
Old 2013-03-23, 03:09   Link #227
Traece
:cool:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
People with extremely negative feelings about the archetype tend to be focused on the "2-d" extreme end of simplification. They also associate the animated violence with reality instead of a metaphor for the character's frustration.

One example (which will probably get me knocked to the stars): I found the animated version of Louise intolerable whereas the source version is a much more interesting and compelling character. The animators seem to have scraped off everything that made her interesting in the books. OTOH, the animated Taiga (still simplified) came closer to the book Taiga, also a much more interesting character. I tend to point a critical finger at the writing skills of the animation team on these matters.

As an contrary example showing that it isn't just the tsundere that has this problem, I find the overly-motherly types and the aristocratic haughty types make me gag but I also know there's a spectrum of tolerable and even lovable examples of each.
I can see that. Anime does tend to bring out the worst in characters.

When I think of a more realistic tsundere, and a KugiRie example no less, I think of Hidan no Aria. Call me a broken record for having said this before, but it's different this time I swear. It amazes me that writers AND viewers don't sympathize with this obvious super-tsundere flaw. When you're that rude and insulting minus the audience perspective, your reaction isn't, "Aw, what a cute girl. I totally want to date her;" but rather, "If I were witness to your potential demise and I could help save your life, I would have to seriously think about whether or not I want to."

It's one thing to be that strong-willed character who is a bit abrasive but can have their "soft" moments. It's another thing to spend your screentime being needy or dependent and yet rude and insulting. This is somewhat clear when you consider the fact that the "does this exist in the real world?" question has to be asked at all.