View Single Post
Old 2011-06-15, 15:11   Link #22900
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan-Poo View Post
If it was identical to the actual content it would be a major mindfuck. Personally I think this story would make a lot more sense if it was said straight out that no metaworld scenes exist in the messages and the forgeries alltogether. Unfortunately there are hints that metaworld scenes were actually narrated, and it makes all more complicated.
Whether a scene is narrated is irrelevant. I can write a book called "Joe Reads The Brothers Karamazov" and contain, within the text of my story, the full text of The Brothers Karamazov, but broken up, interpreted, with scenes narrated by a guy named Joe who is reading the book word for word and going through his daily life at the same time.

Now, is this book The Brothers Karamazov? No, of course it isn't. It happens to have all of the text in The Brothers Karamazov in it, but it isn't The Brothers Karamazov. It's some other book. It has to be read with that in mind.

Likewise, is ep4 Hachijou Tohya's Alliance of the Golden Witch? No, at least not as far as we know. It might contain every word actually written by Hachijou Tohya on the subject. It might not; I think Hachijou Tohya's End of the Golden Witch and Dawn of the Golden Witch almost certainly contained text we do not ever see in Umineko ep5/6. As to what the actual text is of, say, "Ushiromiya Maria"'s Legend of the Golden Witch... well, we can't be sure. Maybe it's a 1:1 transcription of every word in ep1 other than the Tea Party. Maybe it includes the Tea Party. Maybe it doesn't.

Pretty much the sole authoritative answer would be if an individual in the "real world" (assuming we've ever seen R-Prime, that is) references something from the text that they'd only know about if the thing were actually in the text. If a guy says "this is just like the magical debate between Battler-san and Beatrice!" then we have to accept that somehow the meta-world is in the text somehow. To my knowledge, that's never been said. We do know from the TIPS that Erika is present in the text, because it's suggested that her existence as a character is because of speculation that she could have existed on Rokkenjima. That doesn't mean Meta-Erika is, but at the very least it seems Piece-Erika is.

The "magic" scenes are the ones that are up in the air. When the endscroll mentions the strange magic rituals, are they talking about the stakings and magic circles and other bizarre but not overtly magical occurrences in Legend, or are they talking about Kanon fighting a goat butler with a laser sword like in Turn? If it's the former, there's no proof the magic scenes happen in any episode. If it's the latter, we have to believe the magic scenes are also part of the original text.

But I don't think that information is conclusively present.
Quote:
Actually Oliver proved that you could get to Taiwan from the text shown in EP3 alone.
Unfortunately the most vital part was initially minstraslated and corrected only after EP5, so for the english readers it was impossible to understand it until then. It was a very ambiguous text and probably most japanese misunderstood it too.
I seem to recall you providing a writeup of the Taiwan theory that was 99% understandable strictly through English information well before ep5 came out.
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote