View Single Post
Old 2012-11-15, 01:31   Link #866
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
That's not at all what I'm referring to, Kazu, and I'm pretty sure you know that.
Should Walpurgis Night be overcome without Madoka needing to contract as a Puella Magi, it's quite conceivable that Madoka might never become a Puella Magi.

Kyubey himself states that he only contracts with teenage girls. Now, it's conceivable that he could contract with men, women, and teenage boys, but there's no evidence of this. At the very least, it seems likely that Kyubey greatly prefers contracting with teenage girls rather than any other age/gender demographic group, and I'm inclined to think there's some good reason for this (perhaps people really do lose their magical potential once they reach adulthood).

Taking all of the above into consideration, Madoka might merely need to reach adulthood without contracting. At that point, Kyubey may conceivably give up on her forever. It's not all that improbable for a teenage girl to go a few years without facing a personal or global tragedy that would prompt her to sacrifice her life for the sake of others.

So I wouldn't say that Homura's ending is all "false hope" here. Actually, I think you insult the very point of this ending by arguing that. Homura's ending is naturally all about Homura succeeding. Madoka not contracting is the very point of that. What's so wrong in one AU ending of PMMM actually having Homura succeed?

That's not to say you (or anybody else) has to like Homura's ending though. Is it better for Madoka to enjoy a full, normal, happy human life as Homura wants, or is it better for Madoka to sacrifice that life for the sake of Puella Magi throughout the whole of human history? I can certainly understand people thinking that the latter is preferable. Nonetheless, I find it nice to see an ending where Homura succeeds in her mission.