Thread: Arafat's dead.
View Single Post
Old 2004-11-12, 16:46   Link #45
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahhsin
I don't exactly label terrorism is just strapping bombs on someone and running into a bus.

Remember Sharon is the guy that uses Jets to shoot at buildings. Quick air strikes. And the CIA trains gurrellias to overthrow goverments. I don't know how to exactly label terrorism if it's in a middle of a war.
One of the main problems is most people in Israel and the Palestine Terrritories are blaming each other. Sharon says the palestines are terrorists, and the palestines have been pushed out of their ancestral land and their current homes are often being attacked by tanks bullsozers, air strikes etc. They are both right and wrong. They are both to blame.The issue is not who started it but who is gonna stop it !

First of all : both parties would have to stop the fighting, otherwise talking just isn't possible. A good start would be Sharon's plan to withdraw from the Gaza Strip, he could then offer at the new palestinian leaders, (and I say leaderS,since this isn't a job a single palestinian leder should handle) a cease-fire/peace talk proposal.

But even if the fighting would stop it won't be that easy.

- concerning the negotiations it is obvious that Israel has the stronger position, therefore I think the US should push Israel to be more open to negotiations and concessions if needed, a neutral US would certainly help but (I could be wrong, but this is my impression) the US is more pro Israel.

- then there is the problem of the palestine representation, the best thing would be a small group that represents the different factions present. However Israel would have to want to talk to them.

- Assuming they do find a way to solve everything, UN Peace Keepers are almost a must have, Their purpose? They should be deployed mostly in Palestinian Territories to maintain the peace and to help build up a state, european troops would probably be best for this job imo.

- The peace plan MUST have a way to solve the economical situation, without all solutions would be in vain. This of course implies that palestinians would be ablle to work in Israel again, and opening trade between Israel and Palestina would certainly help

If Palestina and Israel can set up some kind of mutual beneficial trade organisation that would take away alot of reasosn to hate/attack each other. This off course would imply a rather heavy investment into Palestina at first

However, what I fear the most is that Israel will use the current situation to start up a "divide and rule" strategy, playing out different palestians leaders (who each on their own aren't powerful enough) and taking full control.
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote