Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2012-04-26, 22:07   Link #359
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

I wonder if the current generation will consider Yamato a character of its own?

The original show personified Yamato over time. It almost had its own personality via the characters. Sort of like the original Enterprise from Star Trek was personified in the series and movies (well up the end end of Star Trek IV at least, after that the personification seems to be less in all later productions. Even the Next Generation didn't seem to personify the Enterprise-D to the extend of Mr. Scott and Captain Kirk did to their ship). The Star Blazers dub changed it slightly with the term "Star Force" replacing the word "Yamato" in most cases, making the crew the star, where Yamato seems more the star in Japanese. "Argo" being used was fine, but one would notice that most of the time the enemy used there name as a swear, it was "Star Force" rather than "Argo". In the Japanese the enemy would always curse Yamato's name when defeated...or sometimes when it arrived but before they started shouting orders to destroy it. But also both "Star Force" was used as the words of hope by those waiting for its arrival, or when it saved the day...just as "Yamato" is used in those same scenes. "Argo" seems like it was rarely used in that fashion.

There has always been a sort of Soul of Yamato. I wonder if that will play any part in the new show.

That and I really hope they do Dessler well. He was always such an interesting person, with either the Japanese or English voice. Now that they have his potental future to work with...and wonder what they will do with it?