View Single Post
Old 2009-07-11, 09:23   Link #2940
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cats View Post
No. I periodically have to stay awake for what are periods of 35h - 42h, very rarely more, trust me its not the same thing. The observable symptoms may look the same but otherwise its totally different then when you're drunk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
As a sufferer of chronic insomnia, I can testify that the two are very different .
What I'm mentioning wasn't based on user experience, but monitoring of brain activity between individuals that were drunk vs. individuals that were sleep deprived for 48 hours. Brain functionality was similar (or perhaps just similarly reduced). If you have the experience then I'll have to take your words for it, but I'm wary of one thing:

There was another interesting study done that examined whether the effects of alcohol were due to the alcohol itself, or something more. Participants in the study were put into a room and given a fake beer that contained no alcohol content - however, they weren't told this. As they drank they began to exhibit behavior of being intoxicated, becoming more social and all. Somewhat humorously, when told that what they'd drank contained no alcohol, their behavior "sobered up" right away.

You can't detect a placebo effect on yourself. I'd just wonder if the experiences you claim are different really because they are different, or because you expect alcohol to make you act and feel one way while you expect sleep deprivation to make you act and feel another.