Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-20, 01:00   Link #5481
justinstrife

Send a message via AIM to justinstrife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
And this I hope happens heartily. We may disagree on what the government should be doing ... but the bill outrages small "c" conservatives and progressives alike in that it simply served the mega-corps who bought out the Senate (and possibly Obama and his staff).
Corporate Left and Corporate Right look exactly the same to me....
I agree with you there. I'm all for Healthcare reform, but what was being pushed through Congress the past 6 months, is something that people on the right and the left are very much against. All the back room deals, hundreds of millions in bribes, it's absolutely digusting. I say we start over from scratch, and have an actual debate and discussion about how best to reform the Healthcare system, and Healthcare insurance. This is something we can't afford to just ramrod through. We need to be careful and do it properly the first time. Something so important should not be done half-assed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cors8 View Post
Hopefully, there'll also be reforms on Senate rules. It's pretty ridiculous to require 60 votes to even consider a bill. Gives too much power to a few Senators.

It's just amazing how even the threat of a filibuster forces so many stupid changes in a bill to appease a few Senators who'll vote against it anyway.
To be fair, some bills are too important to just let a simple majority ram through. Especially when they can effect the entire economy, citizens, and country. Not to mention once a bill gets put into law, it is almost impossible to overturn it at a later time.