Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2010-01-20, 05:13   Link #5482
Haruka_Kitten
The AnimeSuki Pet kitten
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to Haruka_Kitten Send a message via Yahoo to Haruka_Kitten
xD. Not what I'd call Democracy...

Seriously, I cannot believe I'm saying this (speaking from a free world democratic country), but I think democracy is an excuse to give people too much power.

Lets look at communist China. I mean, sure the idea of a great big internet filter is not what I'd call fair, but the quality of life sustained is quite reasonable. It's capitalist cousin Hong Kong is doing well in it's own right, where it seems laws like no spitting on the sidewalk are actually obeyed, and as a result, most environments are clean (such as MTR stations).

Now, over here, it would so seem with freedom, comes those idiots who would want to take advantage of that. As a result, senate spends most of question time trying to lobby ridiculous laws rather than review important trends and issues. I still don't trust myself walking down Point Cook Road after I had a run in with a drunk that threatened to bash me.

Nothing proper is going to get done quickly and efficiently in a democratic government. I'm not saying go communism (it'll be a hell of a long time before I agree to give up my constitutional rights as a free citizen of Australia), but wondering that maybe it just...works in some cases.

Last edited by xris; 2010-01-20 at 11:14. Reason: Please do not quote retort images, thank you