Thread: Licensed World Trigger [Manga]
View Single Post
Old 2014-11-01, 17:32   Link #55
James Rye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triok123 View Post
just finished 81..
Spoiler:
Yep, agree that Border gonna have some problems the coming days if they do nothing in "that" regard.

Spoiler for chapter 81 talk:

Now I'd like to talk about the fanservice of World Trigger:

There is none.

With Kago-san who got introduced this chapter we pretty much got what could be considered "sexy woman" in the WT universe. And she had no huge knockers with giant clevage nor big butt or an armor that exposes her chest/back/stomach. In other words:
She was reasonable clothed like all other girls so far and her body looked normal as well for her age.

I think, Ashiahra is avoiding fanservice as for one his art style doesn't quite fit "flashy and sexy" but more "consistent and calm" plus I also think that he doesn't want to do that as he might think that would "cheapen" the story he wants to tell. He wants the reader to focus on the world building and characters not on which girl got an G-cup.
Even his neighbor Woman was fully clothed like any man.

I am used to fanservice in shounen battle manga, they are basically standard there. No matter if One Piece, Bleach, Naruto, Fairy Tail or any X-shounen battle manga, you usually have at least one big-boobed sexy goddess. As well as bikinis, bikini armor (Literally XD), armor that has for some reasona giant cleavage where the heart and lungs are, "nude" scenes in bathrooms/Onsen/during battle scenes when the clothes of the women get ripped in certain parts, panel close-up shots of the boobs and butts when the woman is talking and so on.

I doubt we get to see any "accidently into bathroom" scene and if it won't be done to look sexy.

Not that I am against Ashihara saying "nope" to fanservice.
For me fanservice is like cake. Some is damn tasty and then you want more, but if you get it constantly you get sick of it. If a female character ends up to provide more fanservice than support in battle or even be at the same fighting level than the guys and always needs o be saved or always ends inan accident with the male MC seeing her panties, touching her boobs/butts, etc then it starts to feel "cheap". As in "look, she got big bouncy boobs, like it pervs!". XD

I'm kind of glad that WT remains a fanservice-free shounen battle manga. In that regards it reminds me of HunterxHunter, though HxH couldn't quite provide much female fanservice as it didn't had many females in the main cast to begin with.^^;

In WT it feels like the girls/woman will play an equal important part as the guys and not be used like usually in most shounen battle mangas as support, battle watchers, hostage and such.
We got Konami who seems to be on par in fighting power with Jin and Kei. We have seen several girls in both A and B teams. Chika is probably the only human in Border who got such a monster level trion amount. And Kago-san and Kuroe-chan seems like opponents that will make it hard for Osamu, Yuuma and Chika (and future teamamtes like Izuho?) to get chosen as expedition members.
Sure we have seen mostly girls and woman as operators aka supporters for the in-field agents and expect one woman the high-ups are males, but if we get engineers and scientists and doctors and such introduced I am sure we will get to see more woman in leading positions in those departments.

For now I would be more happy though if some translator group picks up this manga and translates chapter 56-81 than seeing more girls being treated as women and not as over-sexualized fantasies, but it looks like no group gives a shit about WT. Not popular enough. :/
James Rye is offline   Reply With Quote