View Single Post
Old 2011-08-16, 11:39   Link #473
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by monir View Post
This is indeed one of the most enjoyable series I've watched in the last 10 years or so. I also am curious to know how is this show doing among the female viewers? Judging from the posting in this thread, most of the viewers in this thread appears to be male... So I'm curious to see if the ladies are finding this show attractive also and from which aspect of the storytelling.
Wife-unit hasn't watched it yet or I'd give her view... maybe I can corral her this weekend.
My mum was instantly hooked the moment I showed her the first few episodes of Usagi Drop. She was most recently enchanted by Karigurashi no Arrietty (Borrower Arrietty), so you have an idea of what kind of anime she enjoys.

Caught up with the latest three episodes in a single sitting. There's a lot to digest and, in any case, I would probably end up repeating what everyone else has said. Like Shiroth, I greatly enjoyed the latest tree-planting episode and I don't feel it was necessarily "weaker" than the rest of the show. The differences, as usual, are in the subtleties: This is the first episode in a while in which Rin was not confronted by some kind of domestic problem or personal insecurity in Daikichi's home, and her talkativeness is particularly noticeable as a result. She had demonstrated a certain eloquence and precociousness in earlier episodes, but she was chatting almost non-stop during some scenes this time, the strongest sign yet that she is adjusting extremely well to her new family environment.

As for the tradition of planting trees, I took it as a metaphor for the traditional family tree that connects all branches of a family to one another. This was clearly illustrated in the closing scene, where we see Rin, followed by Daikichi, then his mother and, lastly, Daikichi's grandfather, all treading the same root path. By this time, there are already very strong hints that Rin may not actually be biologically related to Daikichi, but this episode shows that the ties between Rin and her new family have gone beyond mere biology — they are tied now by fate and emotions which, for once, may prove thicker than blood.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote