View Single Post
Old 2012-05-29, 08:47   Link #293
hyl
reading #hikaributts

Quote:
Originally Posted by karice67 View Post
First, do note that tokusatsu is meant to be quite a popular type of show in Japan. Seriously, live-action TV is quite different from anime in terms of popularity.
Define popular. Most of the time i don't see kamen rider or sentai series surpass 6%. Which is on par or lower with the more popular animes.

Quote:
I'm sure it attracted those fans too. But to get to #8 and #11? I'd seriously wager that Nino and MatsuKen had something to do with it, if only because they could market it that widely because of them.

I'd say it would depend on how it was marketed, though I didn't really pay attention to how they did it. That said, I can imagine girls going to see it just because those two were in it - please don't underestimate the idol market...
The Gantz manga was popular enough to sell for over 10 million copies every year, so i shouldn't underestimate the already existing fanbase of it's original source.

Quote:
The important thing there was actually the phrase 'Jump manga', i.e. those films appeal to people who are fans of the manga. Or kids - do note when they air on TV.... (IIRC, FMA had that 5pm or 6pm slot on Sunday). Doraemon and Conan also belong to this group - though they also appeal to older Japanese people for nostalgic reasons.

These shows aren't late-night anime, so no, their prime audience isn't actually the so-called anime otaku crowd.
I am pretty sure that some of those jump manga adaptations are far more popular for the adults rather than for teens or children regardless of the airing slot.

http://www.mangatherapy.com/post/360...ece-popularity
hyl is offline   Reply With Quote