View Single Post
Old 2012-09-27, 00:41   Link #174
Hyper
Irregular Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsaken_Infinity View Post
It didn't adapt a light novel and friends who have read the novel tell me it did an A-okay job adapting the novel but I wouldn't know if that means that it surpassed the novel or that it was decent. People go in with such low expectations when it comes to anime adaptations that the adaptation doesn't really have to surpass or even match the original for it to impress them. Most of the time, those who have read the source just want to see the characters in motion ._.

But that doesn't take away anything from Hyouka the anime and as an anime-only viewer, I was thoroughly entertained all the way through.
Yeah. I personally think that "just want to see it in motion" mentality is bad. All too often the manga/light novel/novel just got "animated" but not "adapted". I've only read the translated volumes of Hyouka (1-2) and I think the staff did a pretty good job adapting it. It's not only the matter of better or worse but knowing how to use the advantage of the medium. For example, in the novel the author can make an explanation longer with little to no impact on the reader, while an anime viewer will be bored by the same amount of text. On the other hand, we can see all the body languages in the anime. They really took advantage of that in Hyouka.