Thread: Licensed Toradora! Manga Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2008-08-22, 01:22   Link #62
Falkor

Quote:
Originally Posted by serenade_beta View Post
Without saying too much...
Taiga will never be better than Louise until Taiga actually starts loving Ryuuji instead of Stupid Glasses. Otherwise, the way she treats Ryuuji would simply be selfishness (and anger management issues).
Though Masochist Ryuuji is fine with her interrupting him whenever he gets into a good mood with Minori or her attacking him (verbally or otherwise).

Well, this might be better discussed in the novel thread...
I get the feeling that there’s a spoiler here if somebody were to read between the lines, so to speak… (don’t mind this random comment, though)

But anyway, to be sincere, I don’t really have the arguments to dispute whether one character is better than the other . For one, I haven’t read the Zero no Tsukaima novels (my bias/issues with Louise come only from the anime; and I heard she is somewhat different in the original version). On the other hand, my “feelings” towards Taiga come from reading the so-far translated novel/manga, with seven more volumes or so still in the process. So far, I just prefer Taiga over Louise, because I simply find her more likeable, even though, as you said, she presents some “anger management issues” and selfish behaviors.

Now, what I like about Taiga is certainly her very relationship with Ryuuji. They don’t have romantic feelings for each other, but they have a mutual understanding of what the other is going through (not so much for Taiga, though)—sharing also similar traits, feelings, and ultimately, the realization that they need help from the other. This relationship strongly reminded me of Welcome to NHK and some other novel/manga by the same author, where the “main couple,” so to speak, were “put together” not necessarily because they both harbored some kind of romantic feeling, but because of an underlying link, common interest, chemistry—however seems to fit—between two. In Taiga’s and Ryuuji’s case, they decided to stay “together” for the sole purpose that “it was better this way,” for all interests concerned. In this sense, I don’t see anything wrong having a crush with Kitamura, as it just makes this relationship more peculiar, if not stronger, given that Ryuuji has a crush on Minorin.

On a side note, a new scanlated chapter has been released today at “the usual place” (it may not be the same “usual” for others, though). Regarding the chapter, I was really waiting to see this in the manga from the time I read it in the novel a while ago—it was one of the highlights of the first volume. Anyway, I'm starting to like the illustrations on the chapter covers more and more.
Falkor is offline   Reply With Quote