View Single Post
Old 2009-08-28, 04:31   Link #57
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I'm not fond of "political dynasties" whether I agree with their aims or not. It smacks too much of royalty. Sometimes I get the feeling too many Americans *want* a return of the aristocracy (especially the way they coo and get starry-eyed over the British crown or even idiot tabloid celebrities).

edit: I also admired Ted Kennedy for his life long work towards bettering the country and the lives of its citizens. Whatever his motivations - his intent was to improve the infrastructure so that life for the middle and working classes had a better chance to go well.
It's kind of funny because a strong central government like a monarchy seems like about the easiest and most possible way to get these reforms passed quickly. It could be done with almost be done with little more than a decree and an okay from a Prime Minister.

I would be for monarchy myself for it's efficiency if it weren't for that one nagging problem. That you can't put the power of government into the hands of one man and expect them not to abuse it. The idea behind the monarchy was that they were supposed to be ordained by the Pope or other equivalent religous leaders as worthy to lead in the name of god. That was supposed to mean that they were infallible, honourable and were fit to govern and bring prosperity, but of course we all now know that that's putting a lot of faith in an intangible power to guide the monarch away from personal greed and other such ugly aspects of human nature. A heck of a lot of faith.

Although there are people like the Dalai Lama who almost seem to have truly rejected all earthly temptations outright and really do just want to make things better for people, learn, and have everyone coexist in peace so I guess anything is possible.

I think there was a quote in Douglas Adams The Restaurant At The End of The Universe that perfectly sums up what I'm trying to say:

"It is a well known fact, that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it. To summarize the summary: anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote