View Single Post
Old 2009-06-04, 01:42   Link #3
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Heavily subsidised healthcare is more dangerous. Like what before Aunt Marge did to UK back in 1980s, old men would just sit in clinics to waste their time and take up spaces because healthcare could be said as almost free.

But I see what you mean by exchanging wealth for health. It brings capitalism to the extreme end and damages the societal structure that is partially built on idealism and "morals".

Hippocrates probably rolled over in his grave the moment this becomes ridiculously lopsided, but personally, I view life rather than healthcare as a fundamental right, it is important to take care of oneself rather than sustain illnesses and injuries that require a higher level of medical attention due to neglect.
Replying from the News Stories thread...

Well, look, sometimes you suffer health problems not because of lifestyle choices. Say one day you find out that you have "XYZ" condition, disease, or problem while you are a freshmen in college. All of a sudden, in order to save your own life, you must go into a lot of debt (If you do not have health insurance, which many people in the U.S. don't because it's just not affordable) to get health care. And you can just imagine how these stories end...

Basically, all I am saying is that if people need care, they shouldn't have to fear the extensive costs. We often talk in society that we cannot put a price tag on lives, but that is what we are doing in the health care sector... It's such a hypocrisy.

Now I'm no expert on the medical industry, though I do have a mother who works in a doctor's office and sees first hand how patients and doctors abuse medicaid and medicare. There are issues with both sides of the public vs the private structure argument and I'm not the one educated enough to make a decision on what exact plan is the proper course of action. It is obvious though that the current system is broke and has succumbed to corporate greed.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote