View Single Post
Old 2013-04-03, 06:31   Link #307
Renegade334
Sleepy Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Well, on my side I'm witnessing a pleasant trend reversal for Opera. Until this early January, I was still using Opera v11.64 because I wasn't impressed at all by the first 12.x builds. Even though I saw 11.64 as the "lesser evil", I still had to put up with its frequent, unidentified crashes (some happened while opening some webpages, others when the browser was idle). I tried deactivating/removing some plugins and still couldn't find the cause behind the instability. The early 12.x builds were still buggy and tended to crash as frequently as 11.64 (if not even more so) and, to add insult to injury, the guys from Opera Software dropped the ability to restore the tabs that were open right before a crash. As I often had 15-25 tabs open at all times, the loss of this "restore all tabs upon restart" functionality was unacceptable.

And so, in January, I tried v12.12 - except this time I didn't perform an upgrade, I installed 12.12 in a different location, next to 11.64. And since then, to my greatest and most exhilarating surprise, I have only suffered two or three browser crashes. Going from four-five crashes a day to almost only one per month is a gigantic leap, wouldn't you agree? 12.12 seems a bit slower in terms of startup and tab opening, compared to 11.64, but I'm definitely appreciating the substantially greater stability.

Also upgraded IE to IE10 for W7 and this one caused very minor problems for me.
1°) Some elements on my local HTML files were displaying differently on IE10, especially in response to certain CSS events (:hover, most notably) - turns out I only had to change another CSS parameter to get things back to normal (now that I think of it, the CSS parameter change kind of makes sense now, so I'm not sure I should even be calling it a bug). Not a showstopper or big complaint by any means, but it's quite aggravating when you can't pinpoint what exactly is causing IE10 to render a webpage differently than IE9. Very small details like this can scrape at the back of your mind for days on end.
2°) They changed the DOM Storage option in IE10. For some reason, it played well (while activated, of course) with my Battlelog Web Plugin (as I play BF3) in IE9, but not in IE10. Curious.

Oh, and it seems IE10 has finally added auto spell check to its list of features, but it doesn't seem to work everywhere (probably the websites in question not allowing it or interfering with the process).

Last edited by Renegade334; 2013-04-04 at 06:17.
Renegade334 is offline   Reply With Quote