View Single Post
Old 2007-12-10, 02:43   Link #186
teachopvutru
Urusai~Urusai~Urusai~

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbes_fan View Post
Yes it's true generally. Generally home theatre speakers are better quality, the enclosure (the bit that houses the speakers) are better designed and suit the speakers. That is why I said if you wanted to listen to music I'd be recommending active monitors over pc speakers.

PC speakers are ok, but the expensive ones aren't very good value.
Please give an estimation of expensive.

Also, for $99.99, would you suggest the active monitors from the site you linked me to or the klipsch?

Generally, what do you look for when you buy speakers? I have heard terms like Watts, Sub-Woofers, Amplifier, Equalizer, Bass, and a whole bunch of others I don't really remember...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
In that case it'd be the program's fault (or its developers'). If there were a program that would have gotten such a big change, the thing would have probably received a name change (or at least its configuration files). Or it would completely ignore the previous settings (as it doesn't understand them). It's really hard to have such a program (supposing it's not something like a compiler or an interpreter, but in those cases the developers should be version-conscious, and those things hardly ever store their configuration in the user's home directory)... and even so, there's no reason for it to harm the OS at all.

Short answer: there won't be such a program. And if it ever happened, then it won't be much of a big deal... rm -rf is your friend (as in "rm -rf ~/*configuration folder*").
You were very close on recommending dangerous commands to newbies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Doing a fresh install is the recommended method among Mac OS X users, it seems - interesting that Linux users say to do the same thing.

The reason for a fresh install is largely because people don't want to risk messing something up. If you don't really modify your system, there's very little risk of something bad happening during an upgrade. If you heavily modify your system, such as installing programs that impact the system at a very deep level, that could cause problems with an upgrade.

For example, after the latest version of Mac OS X was released, some people reported that their computers would enter the installation phase and promptly blue-screen, leaving them with an unusable computer that wouldn't let them upgrade the OS. The only option was to do a clean install. The problem was traced to a third-party program that supposedly had some security functions by monitoring the RAM, or some such thing.

This isn't just a Unix system issue, as I actually had something similar happen to me on Windows. I believe I was upgrading from Windows ME to XP, when the update process failed without leaving DOS. There was a write-protected driver that was causing the update to halt. It was linked to my firewall. I figured I'd just go into Windows, uninstall the firewall, and be on my way, but no - the system couldn't boot. I couldn't reinstall Windows ME, and I couldn't upgrade to XP. I don't remember if I removed the file through DOS or if I ended up doing a full format, but it could happen to anyone

The other argument is that a clean install will not produce unexpected behaviors, and that it may offer better performance. I think the performance issue isn't true in most cases.

Upgrading is a more convenient way to go. If you have backups and wouldn't be screwed by having an unbootable system, I'd recommend trying to upgrade instead of doing a clean install - unless doing a clean install will be rather painless. (Mac OS X offers a third upgrade option, in addition to upgrading and doing a clean install, called "archive and install" - it backs up your old system and user folders, then installs the new system from scratch. If you select the option to do so, the installer will then import your user files and preferences back to the new system. That's probably the best upgrade mechanism.)
Thanks for the flashback of your personal experience regarding upgrading an OS. Speaking of upgrading/installing OSes and stuff, when I was about to reformat the whole of my other computer through Destructive Recovery (I have an HP-Compaq Presario PC, and the option was available through pressing F10 when the computer boots up). But when I pressed F10, nothing really happened... I'm trying to get my PC back to when-I-just-bought setting since on that computer, XP is crippling, and Ubuntu keeps getting freezes. (I think it's something about installing Ubuntu overriding the GRUB menu that allows me to access the recovery partition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingKnight View Post
The thing is, a clean install *is* rather painless on Linux (since you can keep all your data in your home partition), but on distros with a decent packaging system, there shouldn't be many issues. Of course, if you completely rape your sources.list file (in Debian-based distros), you may encounter problems, which was what happened to many people who used Automatix, but in general there shouldn't be issues. And if there were, well, a clean install should be rather painless
Hmmm... Well, it looks like it's safe to do upgrade after all. (Well, I'm aware that a new version won't be released until like April next year)

PS: 15 now.

"FOUND YOU!" ~Taiga
teachopvutru is offline   Reply With Quote