View Single Post
Old 2009-02-15, 22:12   Link #398
physics223
In the Tatami Galaxy ↓

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janifuu View Post
Uh, you are incorrect. I do not have any problems with those who are in disagreement from my standpoint or opinion. I do however have problems with those who clearly chose to ignore the obvious developments between each individual character. It's apparently difficult for an observer to be objective in the matter of character interactions or growth when they have a pair shipping preference, or when they have such a passionate dislike for a particular character. As I mentioned, yes Ami has indeed come a long way from her initial characterization, though it could potentially still take a person a long time to change their opinion of someone, given whether or not their first impression was favorable. In Ami's case, it was not. And put aside the fact that Taiga plays the lead female protagonist, when you compare and contrast all of the characters, you cannot deny the immense progress and development she has gone through. I'm pretty sure, and given its pretty obvious, that that's what the author would intend to relay, that even the seemingly hot headed Taiga can develop and come a long way.

Absolutely I will agree with the authors bias because uh, well, its the authors story lol. In order to have a better understanding of each characters progression and the overall direction of the story, you need to understand the authors intent. Kaisos Erranon stated it very well, it holds much more weight in examining a story when following the mind of the author as opposed to what the readers themselves follow.

Again, I certainly have no problem agreeing to disagree, so long as its within reasoning and mutual understanding
Even obvious is a matter of mileage. Isn't that obvious?

I'm not shipping, though. Don't mistake my reprehension of Taiga as blatant support for Ami or Minori. My other posts speak about the author having a lot to do to prove Taiga worthy to me as a viewer. I'm not denying Taiga's progress as well. I'm full well open to the path that the anime would take me. (Before this argument can be twisted, the 'death of the author' is a manner of reading literally. What I'm pertaining to in this post is that the author, the writer herself, has quite a lot to do to rally me over to Taiga's side. Otherwise, it's going to be simply bad writing, and my 'death of the author' reading would stand a lot better.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by physics223
But she has a lot more character development simply because hers is the most obvious. That doesn't mean Ami or Minori had less, it just means they weren't shown. It can be assumed, however, that all of them have profoundly changed throughout the course of the series.
Just because I recognize Taiga's flaws doesn't mean I hate her. I recognize my flaws, and I don't hate myself. Does it really have to boil down to shipping?

I do believe what I've been writing and I'm currently writing is within rational reasoning. People have yet to tell me otherwise.