View Single Post
Old 2009-03-06, 20:47   Link #140
fish eric
like to talk to fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppygod View Post
Oh yes. It's really strong in the characterization department. All major characters are broken in some way, but we have quite convincing reasons why they are that way. Quirks are not just because, but actually correspond nicely to character history. Also, characters change over time, and by evolution rather than revolution. While there are moments of great realizations, they don't cause immediate change in characters behavior. What imho is very nice touch of realism.

As a side effect, this may be reason behind outrage among some fans, who are used to more typical for anime, "comic book" style of characterization. You know, with character traits distributed randomly among cast and character development punctuated by climactic moments that clearly divide them into "before" and "after" templates.
I agree with your statement. I really like flawed characters.

I've always hated Super Man. He can't be shot, he's faster than anyone else, stronger. There is no fun in that.

A character like House from House MD is much more interesting. Someone who is really broken.

Ami really is a great character and I feel bad for her. In the beginning of the series Ryuji keeps saying to her

"Take of your mask. Take of your mask. Why do you always gotta wear that mask."

So she does take it off and then Ryuji totally criticizes her for the type of person that she is (arogent). She already knew she was a bad person. Thats why she invented her mask in the first place.

Ami dislikes her personality just as much as Ryuji does. Thats what makes her such an interesting character IMO