View Single Post
Old 2007-01-02, 14:18   Link #19
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHDpro View Post
Therefore for every series which only has a thread and not a whole forum dedicated to it, I think that discussions of non-yet-fansubbed episodes should be allowed as long as they're clearly marked as spoilers (even if they hardly spoil any bit of the story), preferbly with episode number (so that you can read the posts once the fansubs catch up).
Actually, I think this sort of answers my second, related question on the subject. Anything shown in episodes up to and including the most recent fansub released is not a spoiler. Is that correct? In other words, you should use spoiler tags for...
  • Any revelations that come from other media (manga, games, novels, etc. -- granted that extended discussion of these should happen in their own forum)
  • Any discussion re: episodes that haven't been fansubbed yet
The above has always been my practice. But what about critical/major plot points, even in episodes that have been fansubbed, that could threaten to ruin the whole show for someone else? I guess I'm just thinking that there's still a risk that someone who hasn't caught up on all the fansubs might click on the thread; for example, someone who just wants to get opinion on the show once it's finished. Are unmarked plot spoilers just the risk one takes once a fansubbed episode has been released? (I can just imagine some innocent soul clicking a thread to see if a show's any good, and having "xxx dies at the end" pop up in front of them. )

Anyway, as I said to begin with, my purpose here wasn't necessarily to try to provoke any sort of change at AnimeSuki (and I agree that there isn't a good solution), but rather just to see what current opinions on the subject were (and whether there was a new trend). It seems that there's a fairly wide spread of opinions on the subject, but most seem to agree that, no matter what, using spoiler tags properly is the key (and there was certainly no doubt in my mind about that aspect in the first place).
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote