View Single Post
Old 2010-06-11, 18:58   Link #1054
tyranuus
Team Spice and Wolf UK

Not to mention that Amarti knew Lawrence couldn't easily refuse his wager in the trade house, because by refusing a merchant's duel with no seeming reason to refuse (he and Holo are not officially together at this point, and they've used varying excuses wherever they've gone, be it business companion, lover, nun, travelling companion etc), Lawrence would lose quite a bit of respect. Respect, connections and trust are extremely important in his profession.
It's also commented in the books that regardless of the connection between the two, companions are highly valued to a travelling merchant, because of the loneliness many of them feel on the road, a common feeling amongst them. Amarti would know this, and yet obviously didn't care.

Either way Amarti knew what he was doing, and despite Lawrence's disbelief he could lose at this point, Amarti was banking on the fact he knew it was unlikely Lawrence would refuse regardless of his personal feelings, and was trying to put him in this position to steal something important from him, regardless of whether that importance was one of companionship, or anything more.

Not an attitude I like, backing a man into a corner to try and take something important from him, using the knowledge that if he refuses he will lose respect and harm his livelihood. Pretty ****ty thing to do.

From this perspective, I find Amarti pretty unlikeable, even if he did end up getting his pride, and occupation wounded by his gamble, he was the one who initiated it, intending to do just the same to someone else.
Reading: None at the moment
tyranuus is offline   Reply With Quote