Thread: Licensed Date A Live
View Single Post
Old 2013-04-08, 13:54   Link #479
Xion Valkyrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinova View Post
If you're having a problem with HOW the show has borrowed from different genres and put them together, then that's a different story. I think one needs a good deal of visual novel experience to really appreciate Date A Live. If you have that, then various things about the story start to sink in. Things like how Shidou has to date and conquer girls to save the world, and how the organization treats dating like it's a battle with analysis of the opponent and making judgements. The whole story's a quirky bend on the entire romance galge scene, and most of the audience here likely lacks that experience. It's like watching a movie about poker and you don't know a thing about the game. You're missing out on a large portion of what would make such a movie enjoyable.
TWOGK also deals with the same set up Galge tropes but the different elements are brought together in a much more cohesive fashion.

Quote:
As for the adaptation from novel to anime, I think they're doing a pretty good job for the most part. It's like transliteration vs translation. If you copied literally from one format to another you end up with a terrible output.

My point is, the anime staff not only cannot but SHOULD NOT be literally or even relatively close to literally faithful to the source material. This is an adaptation. They're adapting the source material to fit into a vastly different form of storytelling medium. Sometimes stuff gets cut not just for time, but for the betterment of the resulting work.
I understand different mediums will need the content tweaked to fit the format, but in this case, even if I didn't read the manga, the way the first episode went still wouldn't have worked for me.
Xion Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote