View Single Post
Old 2009-05-04, 07:23   Link #44
mechabao

Hmm I'll try and see whether installing IE8 through Windows Update doesn't bring up the first run Setup. BRB with results.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Perhaps you should read the article I cited before making claims about things being overblown.

Here it is again: http://www.pcworld.com/article/16412...xplorer_8.html

Microsoft knows that many, many computer users are simply incapable of fixing things like a change to the default browser. Perhaps someone else installed Firefox or Opera for them, but now that Windows Update switched them to IE8, they'll just stick with it because they won't know how to switch back.

I'd also suggest that most users will choose the "Express" settings on that screen you included which will also change their default browser. I realize it says that in the list of those settings, but how many people will actually read that list and think about them? Why shouldn't the default setting be "leave things as they are" rather than making IE be the default?
Whose fault is it then? Microsoft or the users lazy or stupid enough not to read what the installer/first run setup says?

Nevermind. I read the updated article and the guy admits his mistake.

UPDATE:
Installed IE8 via Windows Update. It still didn't set itself as default browser. All those articles crying about IE8 being all sneaky and making itself the default browser are spreading FUD.

Last edited by mechabao; 2009-05-04 at 08:19. Reason: clarified something
mechabao is offline   Reply With Quote